Thursday, January 10, 2013

School Days


It’s funny to think that my kids aren’t even 2 ½ yet and they are already going to school and riding a school bus. The whole reason they are able to do that is because of the Special Education Program Alex is attending through the state. The program is free and since he has a twin (and they don’t want to exclude him) Evan is able to attend the class with him.

The class is on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:45 – 10:15. They do circle time which includes a song, a story and usually a small work job. From there they go to playtime (Alex usually spends some time with the OT or PT) and then down to the gym. They do go outside to the playground when the weather is warm. I like the opportunity we have to do something like this because it is good for the boys to get out and do something different as well as interact with kids their age. I am very thankful that Evan is able to attend the program as well with his brother.

We have only been attending the Tuesday class but this week decided to start going on Thursdays as well. They actually get to transition into the Preschool program after the 16th of this month when they turn 2 ½.  I am not sure I am ready for that just yet so we are going to continue to go to the hour and a half class on Tuesdays and Thursdays for a bit and see how it goes. The Preschool class is three hours long and I am not sure how they will handle that without me being there. (Actually I am not sure how I will handle it.) I get to stay in the class they are in now.

I was able to put them on the school bus – which was a huge step – so I know I can leave them for a few hours once preschool starts. What am I saying? I won’t be able to, that is probably why I am delaying the whole process! I guess I didn’t expect them to be in preschool until the fall, but they start earlier now.

Speaking of the school bus, they are doing pretty well with that. Today was their third ride home (I drive them in) and Alex cries for a few minutes but once the bus starts moving, he quiets down and enjoys the ride. The bus drivers are so great! They sing songs and keep the boys entertained. Evan decided to throw a tantrum in the driveway when he got home today and because I had Alex, the bus driver got off the bus and carried Evan all the way to the house for me. I was embarrassed for the way he acted, but she didn’t think anything of it and it was so nice of her to help me out.

The whole school process has been fun and we will continue to go as long as it is available to us. It gets me out of the house a bit which helps on these cold winter days. I can't believe it took me 10 days to write my first post of 2013! There will be many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment