Thursday, January 17, 2013

One step at a time

This is our second week now of attending school twice a week and it's going very well. The boys really enjoy their time there which is making me realize that preschool probably won't be so bad once they start.

They are adjusting to riding the bus home and that too is going very well. Evan actually looks forward to getting on the bus and Alex is no longer crying. (he would only tear up at first, then once the bus moved, he was fine). They also have a friend riding the bus with them now as well. His name is Myles and he rode for the first time on Tuesday. Mom was a bit hesitant, but I think she saw how well my boys did and took the plunge.

Alex and Evan officially turned 2 1/2 yesterday, so now it's on Eric and I to decide when to send them to preschool. The teacher would like them to attend four days a week for three hours a day, but with Alex's therapy schedule right now, that just isn't possible. Plus I would like to ease them into the program, not throw them right into it. They are still babies to me.

Evan still looks around for me if I am not in the room and will ask for me as well. My first step is to drop them off, stay for about 15 minutes and then leave them there. That way I am only leaving them for an hour instead of three hours. One step at a time. I haven't gotten to that step yet. I thought about doing it on Tuesday, but I couldn't. I told the teacher today that my plan is to do it next week. We'll see if it happens.

Since starting school in September, Evan's speech is progressing which is great. He has a bunch of new words and is starting to put phrases together. Some of them I still don't understand, but I know he means business! It's really cute. He and Alex still have their own secret conversations. Alex isn't really progressing as well as I would like in the speech department, but he is a little more delayed than Evan and with Evan already delayed in speech, I am sure Alex will catch up eventually. We will continue to monitor it as we do everything else and take the steps we need to in the future. Both boys see the Speech Pathologist at school, so in time this should all work itself out. One step at a time...


Evan riding the Tricycle at School on Tuesday
 

1 comment:

  1. That is so great that they are already experiencing school and the bus! I would give anything for Parker to be able to attend school 4 days a week for 3 hours. But unfortunately, here in Oregon, he only gets 2 hours a day, 2 days a week. (and he is 3 1/2)

    ReplyDelete