Saturday, October 13, 2012

Eric and Keri: Our Love Story


When I first started this blog it was supposed to be all about life with twins but over time it has evolved into more of a family blog. Today’s post is all about my journey with my husband Eric. We have been married six years today.

Eric and I met nearly 12 years ago on October 31, 2000. My best friend and I along with his best friend and him were all working at the same store together in the mall. Eric and I were on different schedules and weren’t even aware of one another until my best friend Stephanie introduced us. She couldn’t wait to introduce us because she was convinced he was “my type”. I wasn’t really interested in being set up with anyone at the time, but I decided to meet him anyway. He walked into the store wearing a pair of blue goggles around his neck. Yeah, it was a little weird but I didn’t want to judge. When she introduced us, he “high fived” me. I was taken aback by this but he was cute so I wasn’t giving up yet. My shift was over so I left for the night but that weekend we crossed paths again and he accompanied me on my break since his shift was over. We had good conversation and we exchanged phone numbers. He called a couple of nights later and asked me out on a date.

November 9, 2000 was our first date. He took me to dinner at Chili’s and we went to the movies and saw The Legend of Bagger Vance. After the movies he drove me home where we sat in his car and talked for three hours. He kissed me goodnight and that was my last first date. We fell in love pretty quick but took our time enjoying our relationship.
 
October 17, 2004 we got engaged in Frankenmuth Michigan. He arranged a horse and carriage to take me to a Rose Garden where he was waiting dressed in a suit. He got down on one knee and proposed to me. We then rode back into town together where he had dinner reservations. When we walked into the room, both of our families were there to surprise me. I was blown away at how well he had planned all of this with everyone knowing but me! He did good; I was on cloud nine.



 


We had planned an outdoor wedding with no indoor backup. The day before our wedding there were snow squalls all day long and one of them happened during our rehearsal. But nothing was going to stop me from marrying the love of my life, so on October 13, 2006 Eric and I got married inside a tent at Depot Park (instead of at the gazebo). It was 45 degrees outside and there may have been a snow flurry or two, but none of that mattered because it was our wedding day!

 
Like any couple, Eric and I have had our ups and downs. We work at our marriage every single day of our lives and because we make the effort, that is what keeps us strong. Having twins has been more than challenging on us as individuals as well as husband and wife. Having a special needs child is even more challenging, but it has totally changed our lives for the better. We appreciate the things that some people take for granted, I think we support one another more when we get frustrated or stressed. We understand more, we love deeper and we laugh together A LOT! We are goofy together, we have fun with our kids and most of all we balance each other out. I cannot imagine doing all of this with anyone but Eric. Who would have thought that the guy who wore goggles around his neck and high fived me when we first met would go on to be my husband! (Love you hun!)

Eric is my better half, my best friend, father of my children and the love of my life. I am so happy to be his wife. Happy Anniversary to the man I fell in love with 12 years ago and married 6 years ago today.
 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!! Beautiful story, strong couple, I love it!
    Rhi

    ReplyDelete