Friday, January 9, 2015

Finding Another Special Needs Mom - A Dream Come True

Over Christmas Break I finally got to see my friend Rhiannon and her boys Blake and Casey. We haven't had a play date since summer when we would meet up at the park. We have been lucky enough to see each other at the Horse Therapy program that both Alex and Casey ride at, but once I started working on Fridays, we haven't had time to get together. I knew Christmas break would be a good time to meet up and I am so glad we did.


Evan and Blake have missed each other so much! It was really good to see them back together. They get along so well (at least in the beginning) then by the end they are fighting like brothers would. Not only did Evan and Blake need this get together, but I think Rhiannon and I did as well.


We are each other's only "special need" parent/friend. So when we get together we are able to talk and vent about our lives as special needs mothers. Our successes, our frustrations, our worries and sometimes things that are bothering us that no on else would understand. That there is the key sentence to this entire post. "No one else would understand".


Sometimes when I am having a "moment" I often think of Rhi because I know she would understand. When we are together talking and venting, we always seem to relate and agree on things. That is why I feel so grateful to have met her and her boys and to have her in my life.


I know I have said this before, but before I met her, I had hopes of finding another Mom in a similar situation to me. I thought finding another special needs mom would be impossible and then we met and saw how close our boys were in age, I just knew it was going to be a perfect fit - and it has been. It really has been a dream come true.


Casey and Alex are very different. Casey has Down Syndrome and Alex has Cerebral Palsy. But one thing that is the same is that they are equally important to both of our families. Rhiannon and I as mothers to special needs children are always dealing with an array of emotions. Happy for milestones, Sad when the boys are sad or feeling left out, content when they are happy, overjoyed when they do something out of the ordinary, frustrated with the doctors, tests, test results, therapists and appointments. Then there are moments when they will melt our hearts. Casey and Alex are both very happy boys and that is something we both are thankful for.


Being able to relate to someone outside of my husband on these feelings and moments we go through as special needs moms, is a very comforting and fulfilling feeling. Don't get me wrong, I have a great group of friends who are supportive, always listen, comfort me when I need it and even offer up help with my boys. But for someone to truly understand what you are feeling and going through, they have to had gone through it or experience it themselves. That is just my opinion on it and I think a lot of people would agree.


So, Rhiannon if you read this, Thank you for being my friend; the one who knows what I go through being a mom to a special needs child, for listening and understanding me; for never judging me; for loving my boys as much as I love yours. You have no idea how much your friendship means to me and I am so thankful for all of the memories our boys have shared and look forward to many years as friends.




Rhi and I

Evan and Blake

Alex and Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment