Sunday, June 2, 2013

In Memory of My Grandma

Eighteen years ago my beloved Grandmother passed away. Cancer took her away from us at the age of 77. She had only been 77 for twelve days when she died...most of it in a coma.

I was sixteen and had just gotten my license in March. I never got to drive her around anywhere because she had been in the care of Hospice since January of that year. She didn't get to see me graduate, get married or meet my babies. I have so many wonderful and funny memories of my Grandma. I think of her so often because I loved her so much and I know how much she meant to my Mom.

For as long as I can remember we would go and visit her almost every Saturday. My Grandma never learned how to drive, so we would take her grocery shopping, to the bank and sometimes to lunch at her favorite Coney. My Mom would help her plant flowers or clean up around the house. I remember her always having a can of spaghettios in her cupboard for my sister and I to eat!

After my Grandpa passed away on August 12, 1981, my Grandma never married again. She loved to sit in her brown recliner, cigarette in hand watching the Price is Right. She loved her game shows and bingo was one of her favorite hobbies.  She had her friends and family to keep her busy and plenty of Grandchildren. She loved each and every one of us and we loved her.

I admire her for her strength all the way up until the end and I miss her so much. I just want her to know that I will never forget all of our memories together and how I wish she could have met Alex and Evan. I know she would just eat them up!
 
Gone, but not forgotten...
 
Helen Teresa Snowden
May 21, 1918 - June 2, 1995
 
Another year has come
and you're still so far away
You're always in my heart
each and every day.

Although I cannot see you,
I feel your presence near
I will hold you close in memory
While I wipe away the tears.





No comments:

Post a Comment