Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Day Like Today

I will admit that there was a time early on in Alex and Evan's lives that I feared a day like today would never happen. I was so afraid for so long because of all of the grim news that the Doctors were feeding me about my son who has Cerebral Palsy.

What I have learned over the past three years, is to take everything they say with a grain of salt. No one can tell my what my son will or will not be able to do. They can follow all the research they want but that's all it is...research. The only person who is going to SHOW me what he is capable of is Alex himself. I have also come to learn that I may never find another human being with CP in this world who is exactly like Alex. Anyone whoever comes close always seems to have one small difference.

When I learned of Alex's brain injury, he was a mere 4 weeks old. I had no idea where I would be three or six or even ten years down the road. One of my biggest fears was having twins...boys...and them not being able to play together or be close to one another.

As we truck along in this journey, so many of my fears have been pushed aside. He may not be a typical toddler; he may not be able to run alongside his brother; he may not be able to jump up in the air, but he has taught me more about life than I ever thought someone could.

So, getting back to the first sentence of this blog: Today, my twins, my boys played alongside each other in the pool. They laughed, they splashed and they enjoyed every minute of it. Tonight before bed, Evan had a toy that pops up and he was encouraging Alex to push it down so he could pop it up again. This moment made my day. To see them playing and interacting together was so awesome. Today my fears were pushed aside yet again...because a day like today DID happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment