Wednesday, February 13, 2013

All Because of Casey


Yesterday we got together with our “Twin Friends” Blake and Casey and it was one of the best play dates we've had. Evan, no doubt always has a good time no matter where he’s at. He’s a pretty adaptable kid. We got there at 3:00 and he didn’t stop until I had to carry him out at 6:30. It’s always fun going to someone else’s house because it’s a different environment and they always have different toys and that is very stimulating for a two year old.

We have been getting together with Blake and Casey for about five months now, but yesterday was the first time that Evan and Blake really played together. They played nice too. They were chasing each other, making each other laugh and playing side by side. It was really nice to see.

What made me even more happy was how well Casey and Alex played together. Neither boy is as mobile as Blake or Evan so they have adapted to playing on their own or with one of us adults. Yesterday, Alex sat up almost the whole time he was there playing with various toys. Casey is more mobile so he made his way around the room finding different things to play with but more than once, he made his way back to Alex. He would scoot on the floor and get right up next to Alex and share the toy he was playing with. He was kissing on Alex and touching his head. Alex in turn was touching Casey’s hair and it brought such a huge smile to my face that I had to share this story in the blog.

Alex doesn’t get much interaction with other kids as much as I would like. (Other than Evan) When he is at school, he is getting therapy half the time and the other half the teachers are working with him. None of the kids have gone out of their way to play with Alex but that could just be an age thing. Evan will occasionally include his brother, but most of the time there are jealousy issues and fighting. (pretty common with brothers – and especially twins)

I won’t lie when I say I am bothered when Alex is left out because it makes me worry about how things will be for him in the future when he gets into school. Yesterday changed a lot of that thinking for me because he wasn’t excluded and that is all because of Casey. Casey has no idea that he made my day or Alex’s for that matter, but he did. He was just being himself and even though he doesn’t realize it, he made a difference. He gave me hope that things will be ok for Alex; that I shouldn’t worry about little things and somehow it will all be ok.

I knew when we met Rhiannon and her boys Blake and Casey that they were brought into our lives for a reason. Over the past six months, Rhi and I have been able to relate to each other in so many ways that I cannot relate to other Mom’s on.  But more so, they were brought into our lives for moments like these.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment