Monday, April 2, 2012

Walking Talking Toddlers


The warm weather has passed and cooler temps have set in. That means less time outside, no walks with the wagon and no trips to the park. It shall return someday soon (hopefully) but until then we are stuck inside! That’s ok, Alex and Evan don’t seem to mind!

We had a great run of summer like weather here in Michigan for about two weeks, so we got to wear shorts, play outside and take in the warm air. But, it’s Michigan and we all knew it wasn’t going to last. So, we are back to reality, although this weekend is looking nice for Easter – Sunny and 60.

We are heading up to Frankenmuth, Michigan on Saturday to celebrate Easter with my family. Frankenmuth is a small little German Town about an hour north of where we live. It’s famous for their Chicken Dinners, family friendly hotels, cute little shops and of course Bronner’s Christmas World – the largest Christmas store in the world. It’s also the place where Eric proposed to me so it holds an extra special place in my heart. J I am excited to go for the day because it’s something different for a change and I don’t have to cook. If I remember to take pictures, I will post some next week.

Alex and Evan are doing well. Here’s what’s been going on:

Last Friday in Physical Therapy, Alex decided he would take off walking in the Gait Trainer! I was blown away, in fact I was in so much shock I didn’t even have a chance to cry like I usually do when he does amazing things. Evan was with us, so I was trying to keep him out of trouble and didn’t even realize Alex was taking off. I did end up getting it on video and I will post it as soon as I figure out how to get it off my new phone! He didn’t move the trainer on his own (his therapist Kate helped) but I have never seen him take steps like that before. He did it again today. I am so proud of that boy for all he has done and seeing him accomplish new things will never get old. He is so amazing and such an inspiration to me.

I only have one word to describe Evan lately: Funny. He has his Dad’s personality and sense of humor all the way. He LOVES to make people laugh. At first, I thought it was just Alex he liked to get laughing, but I have noticed more and more he is after everyone. The thing is, is that he KNOWS he’s funny too – which is even cuter. He is babbling in his own language more and more so I think it is only a matter of time before he starts talking. He knows a few words like juice, cheese, sock, shoe and Dada is his favorite at the moment. The tantrums are still prominent and I don’t think they will be going away anytime soon. I am sure it is only the beginning. He loves to give hugs and kisses and my favorite is when I don’t even have to ask.

Something new we have started before bedtime is cuddle time with the boys. We bring them into our room to cuddle for about 15 minutes before we put them to bed. It really helps all of us relax and wind down after a long day. They don’t seem to cry as long when we put them to bed. I know the cuddles won’t last forever so I am really trying to enjoy them now!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for taking steps!!! That is so exciting. I bet he loves being able to do that.

    I also love your idea of cuddle time. It is a small window when they will want to do that so we should get every last bit possible. We might have to try that. Although, we have a routine of taking them up in their room and getting on the couch and reading 2 books (they each get to pick one) then we turn the lights out - they each get to snuggle for minute in each of our laps (if my husband is home) and then they go to bed. That works pretty well too.

    ReplyDelete