Thursday, March 10, 2016

Field Trip Friday

March is reading month at school and last Friday, March 4th the boys and their class took a field trip over to the Middle School to read with some of the 8th graders. They also had some free time in the gym where there was a bounce house and basketball.

Before the field trip I told Mrs. Barry (their teacher) that I was curious to know who would want to ride with Alex on his bus (he has to take the special ed bus so they can transport his wheelchair). This was the email I got from her when they got back: 

Mrs. Williams,
We had a great time on the field trip. I asked all the kids this morning who would like to go on the bus with Alex and every kid raised their hand! A few kids were missing so we were able to fit all on Alex's bus. We arrived and went to the gym and then went to the second floor to read with the 8th graders. Alex was able to take the elevator up there. We had fruit snacks for snack. Then we went back to the gym for playtime and Alex went on the bounce house and played ball. It all went really well and all the kids had a blast! 


Yeah....I cried when I read this. I cannot believe that ALL of the kids in the class wanted to ride with him and then it worked out that they all were able to. It was so much sweeter than I imagined. I am going to be really sad when this school year ends. Mrs. Barry has been such an amazing teacher and I am not sure if anyone else beyond her is going to compare. She takes such pride in her job and cares so much about her class. She told me yesterday that she isn't ready to let them go and feels like the year is flying by - which I agree it is.


Evan looking thrilled to be reading....lol

Alex and his buddy

Alex liked the bounce house

Bounce House

Evan playing Basketball
Evan 



















After lunch that day as I was leaving work, the school called me to tell me that Evan had an accident on the playground and would need stitches. He was running to line up for recess, tripped and slammed his head into a picnic table. So, an unplanned field trip to urgent care it was! The gash was just above his right eyebrow but wasn't as deep as it looked. The Doctor was able to glue it shut and tape it with steri-strips. It is still in the healing faze, but looks to be doing well. He was such a trooper and I am so proud of how strong he was through the whole process!
Smiling Boy



All Patched Up
Ouch!



I know this is only the beginning of many injuries for my boy who is always on the move and is very adventurous. It could have been worse, so I am glad he is OK.

As for Alex, he may not realize how much he means to his classmates, but I do and it makes my heart smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment