Saturday, March 28, 2015

Going Green for CP Part 2 of 3

About a week before CP Awareness Day, I emailed Alex's teachers to ask if it would be possible for the kids to wear green in support of Cerebral Palsy. I mentioned how I wanted to get a picture and maybe submit it to the local paper so that the community could see how great his classmates are.

There isn't a kid in Alex's class that doesn't like him. When I take him in late on Tuesdays and Thursdays, they flock over to him because they are all so excited to see him. It is really quite cute. The girls in the class especially favor him and as I have mentioned in past posts, they make him pictures, read to him and make him chase them in the gym. It is adorable.

His teachers were delighted to make that happen and within two days, flyers were being sent home not only to Alex's classmates, but to every kid in the school!! Oakwood Elementary was GOING GREEN FOR CP! They even put it on the sign out by the road. I was blown away! I couldn't believe that this was actually happening!

Wednesday finally came and after work, I went to the school to first thank the Principal Mrs. Stewart in person, then I was off to the classroom to give all of the kids yummy sugar cookies with green frosting and green sprinkles. They were really excited to see me when I walked in, but not because they know me and I am Alex and Evan's Mom, no they knew I had the sweet goodies!

Everyone enjoyed their cookies except for one little stinker....Alex of course! He didn't want it, he preferred Cheez It's instead.

I got to witness the class do some dancing before we all headed down to the gym. In the gym, they played Duck Duck Goose, Red Light Green Light and Red Rover. Alex cruised in his gait trainer while the girls surrounded him. I was so happy to be there and be surrounded by all of the people who make a difference to Alex everyday. 

As we were walking back to the classroom, I would occasionally peek into classrooms or see kids in the hallway and most if not all of them were wearing green. I never thought something this big would happen but good things happen when you are surrounded by people that care.

I will never forget what the students and staff did for us at Oakwood Elementary. I hope that we can make it happen again next year and I think we may have started something great because next week we will be wearing blue to light up the school for Autism! I am very happy to be part of a community where everyone matters.



Doing the Hokey Pokey

Evan being a goof

Class Photo

Silly Class Photo

Playing Duck Duck Goose

Duck Duck Goose

Getting ready for Red Rover. That is Evan high fiving his buddy

Alex with Samantha and Remy

Alex and his girls, Lexi, Samantha and Maddison

Happy Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment