Monday, July 16, 2012

The Twins Turn Two

Happy 2nd Birthday to my beautiful boys, Alex and Evan.

I think back to my days in the NICU with them and never being able to see this far into the future. Everything was day to day when we were there and I was just wondering when we would all be home together as a family. There was no planning or looking ahead. It was hope and faith that got us through the long days.

Well, here we are two years later and our days spent in the hospital are long gone and seem so far away. We have celebrated holidays, milestones, a first birthday and now a second. We go for walks, go to the park, get together with friends and do weekly therapy appointments.

There are crying fits and tantrums being thrown, hugs and kisses given out daily and cuddles that warm my heart. Just today, Evan reached over and offered Alex a bite of his cracker....and Alex took it.

My boys share the same birthday and very different personalities, but the one common thing that I already see clearly is the love they have for one another. Evan shows it a little more than Alex for obvious reasons, but I know it’s in Alex’s heart. They speak to one another in their own little language, they make each other laugh, Evan will pick up a toy for Alex if he drops it from his stander tray or he might switch it out to give him something different to play with. If I sit Alex in the big chair in the family room, Evan usually comes over so he can sit next to his brother. Now when I put them in their car seats in the car, I always say “Hi Brudder” from Alex to Evan and they both smile from ear to ear. It’s something they expect now. I hope as the years pass and Evan learns a little more about his brother that he will continue to love him and help him out when need be.

It’s not easy having two 2 year olds. The screaming fits are a bit overwhelming at times, but I think not having both of them run around and play together is the hardest thing for me to have to deal with. I feel like both of them are being robbed of having a playmate and I have had a few people comment on how crazy it would be if both were running around like Evan. I would give anything to have that for my boys... Anything.

I am hoping that this is getting harder for me now so that it will eventually get easier in the future. It’s hard to tell. I wish I had all the answers, but I don’t. Everything is a waiting game and only time will tell.

Last year at this time, they were both still taking a bottle, eating baby food, Evan was only crawling, Alex couldn’t really roll or sit up very well. They are now on a regular diet, Evan is running around, Alex is rolling and sitting with some assistance and both are self-feeding with their hands. We are working on utensils next!

What I am hoping for in the next year is that both boys will be potty trained, both will be talking, Evan will be riding a tricycle, Alex will be sitting on his own, possibly crawling, standing or taking a few steps. I am really hoping Alex will also be using his right hand more and both boys will be full self feeders.

It’s amazing to see what children can learn and do in such short periods of time. My twins are different in so many ways, but they have each amazed me with their own individual accomplishments. It’s important to me that they are recognized for these as individuals.

We are truly blessed to have Alex and Evan in our lives. In two years they have turned my life upside down and inside out and I wouldn’t have it any other way. God has always challenged me throughout my life, but this is his greatest challenge yet and as far as I can tell, I think I am succeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment