Monday, March 24, 2014

Potty Training

I always knew I wanted to be a Mom, I never knew how much work it was going to be and what a huge learning experience it would be. You take the good with the bad and you never know what a day is going to bring you. Some days are so incredibly exhausting for me that I can't even think by the end of the day; other days are a breeze. I have more exhausting days than I do easy ones.

Another thing that I have learned as a Mom is that there are so many things that you go through that you don't even think about when you are dreaming of becoming a Mom. I have had many challenges raising my two boys, but the one that has presented itself most recently has been Potty Training. No one tells you how hard it can be...especially for a first time Mom.

I seriously never thought I would get Evan potty trained. I felt like every other kid around was potty trained and my 3 1/2 year old was the only one still in diapers. I thought for sure he would be going to kindergarten in diapers! His teachers would put him on the potty at school....nothing. I tried a couple of times with no success and there were times when he wouldn't even let me put underwear on him. It was frustrating but I went with it because I didn't want to discourage him or make him feel afraid of doing it. I had people on me for him not being potty trained and others who said not to worry....it would happen. It was the nagging pressure of those who I felt looked down on me for not having him potty trained that would get to me. But I ignored them even though I wanted to tell them to keep their negative opinions to themselves and let me train my kid when I felt he is ready.

I do feel like had a couple of negatives going against me. One, is the fact that we are never home. I am always running to appointments during the week and then school in the afternoons. Weekends are a lot of the same. Second, is the twin factor. Alex is no where near ready for potty training and Evan always wanted a diaper because Alex was wearing one. I would suggest underwear and he would refuse and grab a diaper because Alex had one. That was a huge hurdle I wasn't sure we would ever get over.

Then, the morning of March 12, 2014 came. It was a snow day for the kids and because it was going to be snowing and blowing all day, I knew we wouldn't be going anywhere so I decided to put a pair of underwear on Evan that morning and give it a shot. (That was always one of my setbacks - we are never home all day. We always have appointments or school) Surprisingly, he didn't resist the underwear. I told him his teacher Ms. Pam asked me to give this a try. (He loves Ms. Pam) He didn't do anything all morning, had a small accident before lunch and then after lunch he finally went. I was so excited!!! I was jumping up and down, hooting and hollering and making a really big deal out of it. He was really excited too!

That one day is all it took for Evan. He was excited to go, we went out and bought new underwear and celebrated every time he went. Thursday he went to school and I wasn't sure how it would go, but he didn't have any accidents and his teachers were really happy for him.

Last weekend we were gone all day Sunday and he did really well in public. He hasn't had but 1 or 2 small accidents and I couldn't be happier. I am so proud of him and so happy to FINALLY have him potty trained....and it was on his time.

I am glad I never pressured him or made him feel bad for not being potty trained. I am glad I ignored the negative opinions from others because in the end, it worked in our favor. So it took a little longer than some, but he is doing awesome and he is proud and happy just like we are!

Good Job Evan!! We are so proud of you!!!


Intently coloring


Safety goggles on!

No comments:

Post a Comment