Thursday, October 3, 2013

Parent-Teacher Conferences - Alex

Last evening Eric and I attended our first set of Parent-Teacher conferences for Alex. Let me start by saying that I couldn't be happier for Alex and I almost cried on multiple occasions. His teachers both love him (no surprise there!) and they both stressed how well he is doing in class. He has his Gait Trainer in class with him, so he gets to go in that as well as a stander. He makes his way around the room to the different play areas they have. He has already painted a picture that is hanging up on the wall and he SITS on the carpet for circle time with all of the other kids.

Yesterday he participated in a song they had and he played the bird. He actually flapped BOTH of his arms like a bird and was smiling and laughing the whole time. The other day, they were doing an activity where he had a little bean bag on his head and every time it would fall off he would laugh hysterically!

His friends in the class know who he is and refuse to go into the school until he is off the bus and ready to go in with them. All of the kids help him out when he drops a toy or needs help and one friend will walk along side him in his walker. (Now I am crying).

I worry so much about him. I worry that he isn't getting the attention he needs, that he might be left out of activities because of his lack of mobility and lack of speech. I worry that other children won't understand and not want to be around him - not because they don't like him but because they don't understand. I have been worrying for nothing.

I want to meet these children and give them each a hug and say "Thank you for not treating him any different and for being his friend". His teachers are both amazing and I know they go out of there way to help him. I know that's their job, but it still means so much to me.

We were informed that the highlight of his day is when he gets to go outside and go on the swing. That is his absolute favorite thing to do. (This came to no surprise to us).

All in all, it was a great meeting and I feel even better about Alex and his school experience. I hope he continues to progress and have a good time with his new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment